Are you an educator who wants to be on the fore-front of technology education? Come join us and be part of a movement that challenges our digital citizens of tomorrow. We are seeking teachers, student teachers and volunteers to inspire students in an after-school environment.
Job Description – Assistant Instructor
Number of weeks: 6-8
Date: July 5-August 24, 2018
Application deadline: May 18, 2018
Interviews: May 14-17, 21-23, 2018
Location: SW Edmonton locations: Riverbend United Church (14907 – 45 Ave, Edmonton) and Terwillegar Community Church (1751 Towne Centre Blvd NW)
- Assist in teaching kids from the ages of 5-14 how to code with visual block programming languages (such as Scratch, OzoBlocky) through self-paced lessons. Provide guidance to kids to learn to problem solve and apply their creativity in programming.
- Teach and guide kids through various board games to build on computational thinking and problem solving.
- Supervise kids during their breaks.
- Provide a dynamic learning environment that effectively engages & facilitates authentic learning for students of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
- Maintain positive relationships with parents and students that uphold high standards of excellence in operations and customer service. We all must work together to provide a valuable experience and deliver results.
- Has taken computer classes in High School or hold or working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Education is preferred.
- Must be independent and a self-starter who strives for personal and team growth.
- You possess a relentless passion for Education or Computer Science and want to make a difference in children’s lives.
- You enjoy working with kids of all ages.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to guide others.
- High sense of responsibility and dependability.
- Ability to bring an upbeat, high energy attitude to the class.
- Professional in speech, appearance, and manner.
- Should be a team player and agreeable to working in a dynamic, evolving environment
- We are a startup – you must embrace change and be willing to accept continuous feedback and change directions regularly.
Other skills that would be beneficial, but are not required:
- Experience building computers.
- Understand the core mechanics of Minecraft
- Experience programming a Raspberry Pi (in any language).
- Relevant teaching experience and/or leadership skills.
- Experience facilitating groups of children and/or working youth programs with proven classroom management.
- Standard First Aid Certificate
Why work at Discover Coding?
- Opportunities to work with kids of various learning abilities and diverse backgrounds.
- Opportunities to gain and develop the following skills:
- Interpersonal skills
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Using Information Technology
- Have a significant impact on kids’ lives by enabling the creators of tomorrow through learning to code.
- Your passion will not be overlooked. Tremendous opportunity for career growth and promotion.
- Innovative and collaborative environment that inspires fun and growth.
This position is funded by the Government of Canada. Canada Summer Jobs requires participants who:
- Is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- Was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- Intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- Is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program;
- Is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* and;
- Is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations
*Foreign students are not eligible
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject “Application for Assistant Instructor”. Please also state in your email that you meet all criteria stated in the Canada Summer Jobs requirements section.
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those applicants being considered will be contacted.