About Discover Python With Callysto:
Discover Python With Callysto is a course that introduces students (and teachers) to basic coding concepts. The course is delivered in eight 90-minute classes.
Who is this for?
- Grades 5-9 students
- Classrooms in rural communities
- Homeschool groups (*Please note, we can only accommodate for groups with a minimum of 18 students or more.)
This is a glimpse of what the students will be doing (subject to changes):
- Lesson 1: Callysto, Python, Data Types, Basic Operations, Strings, Variables, User Input
- Lesson 2: Comparisons, Conditionals (if, if-elif, if-else statements), extension – Basic Loop
- Lesson 3: Loops, Operations, Variables, Comparisons, Control Flow with Loops, extension – Fibonacci Sequence
- Lesson 4: Lists, Items, Index, Loops, Strings, extension – Count String Characters
- Lesson 5: Caesar Cipher, Encryption/Decryption
- Lesson 6: Turtle Module, Making Graphics
- Lesson 7: Spirograph Drawings, Repeating Shapes, Random Functions, extension – Callysto Turtle Art Contest
- Lessons 8: Random Module, Build a “Rock, Paper, Scissors” game.
During this course, we make connections to many math concepts found in the province of Alberta’s Math Program of Studies Curriculum.
To qualify for this program, a school must be in a rural community. We define a rural community as a municipal community with a population of under 10,000 people. If unsure of eligibility, please contact us.
What is required?
- Students need access to wifi and a laptop, chromebook or desktop.
- Callysto or PIMS may request feedback to identify successes of this program
- School picks 8 preferred dates and times between May-June. Dates are on first come first serve basis.
Please note: Each class can only sign up for one of the Callysto programs. You may choose between Hour of Callysto (1 time class) OR Discover Python with Callysto (8-class course).
Have questions? Interested?
Please fill out the following form and we will get right back to you!