About Discover Python With Callysto:
Discover Python With Callysto is a course that introduces students (and teachers) to basic coding concepts. The course is delivered in eight 90-minute classes.
Who is this for?
- Grades 5-9 students
- Classrooms in rural communities
This is a glimpse of what the students will be doing (subject to changes):
- Lesson 1: Callysto, Python, Data Types, Basic Operations, Strings, Variables, User Input
- Lesson 2: Comparisons, Conditionals (if, if-elif, if-else statements), extension – Basic Loop
- Lesson 3: Loops, Operations, Variables, Comparisons, Control Flow with Loops, extension – Fibonacci Sequence
- Lesson 4: Lists, Items, Index, Loops, Strings, extension – Count String Characters
- Lesson 5: Caesar Cipher, Encryption/Decryption
- Lesson 6: Turtle Module, Making Graphics
- Lesson 7: Spirograph Drawings, Repeating Shapes, Random Functions, extension – Callysto Turtle Art Contest
- Lessons 8: Random Module, Build a “Rock, Paper, Scissors” game.
During this course, we make connections to many math concepts found in the province of Alberta’s Math Program of Studies Curriculum.
To qualify for this program, a school must be in a rural community. We define a rural community as a municipal community with a population of under 10,000 people. If unsure of eligibility, please contact us.
What is required?
- Students need access to wifi and a laptop, chromebook or desktop.
- Callysto or PIMS may request feedback to identify successes of this program
- School picks 8 preferred dates and times between May-June. Dates are on first come first serve basis.
Please note: We are currently prioritizing requests for classes between April to June 2020. We will consider Fall 2020 classes if funding allows.
Have questions? Interested?
Please fill out the following form and we will get right back to you!